From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Un-slotting LLVM
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 01:42:12
1 > On 8 Nov 2021, at 11:18, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > A few years back I've slotted LLVM and Clang to make the life with
4 > revdeps easier. Long story short, every major LLVM release (which
5 > happens twice a year) breaks API and it takes some time for revdeps to
6 > adjust. Slotting made it possible to install multiple versions
7 > simultaneously, and therefore let "faster" packages use newer LLVM
8 > without being blocked by "slower" packages on the user's system.
9 >
10 > Unfortunately, this ended up pretty bothersome to maintain. Besides
11 > making ebuilds quite complex (and prone to mistakes), I'm hearing more
12 > and more reports of programs being broken through getting multiple LLVM
13 > versions in the link chain.
14
15 I think this might just be Blender and friends which are especially fragile.
16
17 We may be able to get away with just coordinating those together.
18
19 > WDYT?
20
21 If we can help it, I'd really really prefer we don't. Being able to test
22 various different various of Clang quickly (just like gcc) is really helpful.
23
24 (especially given one day, we might dare to dream of using Clang
25 for the system toolchain. It becomes a lot easier to check for
26 regressions if you can just flip the version.)
27
28 Best,
29 sam