From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek.chauhan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The app-misc/beagle in portage is seriously outdated!
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:17:10
1 On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 4:00 PM, Alistair Bush <ali_bush@g.o> wrote:
2 > > BTW, besides the beagle bump request in the bugzilla of Gentoo, is there
3 > > any way to let us normal users get beagle up to date?
6 > Im sure that there are more than a few dev that would be willing to
7 > proxy maintain the package, if a user is prepared to standup and take
8 > responsibility for it.
9
10 This is entirely my fault.
11 I'm a part of Beagle upstream, and had volunteered to proxy maintain
12 it. I was the one who was supposed to contact Petteri Räty
13 (Betelguese) after he had volunteered to proxy maintain it (via a
14 reply to dsd's email) several weeks ago.
15 However, I ended up getting busy with other things, procrastinating
16 this, and in the end majorly slacking in getting Beagle fixed (though
17 I did update the ebuild on the gentoo bug occasionally)
18
19 > Currently it seems that the package doesn't
20 > build for everyone ( by having a quick look at #201093 ) and this is
21 > something that any maintainer would have to rectify [1].
22
23 Beagle 0.3.3 itself compiles just fine, but yelp and nautilus don't
24 compile with beagle support (beagle USE flag) because libbeagle got
25 split from Beagle in 0.3, it's API changed, and the version number got
26 bumped. Work is in progress to fix yelp with the new libbeagle, but no
27 such progress has been made in nautilus.
28 Probably the "beagle" USE flag in nautilus and yelp has to be made to
29 depend on 0.2.18 since it doesn't work with >=0.3
30
31 All in all, I take complete blame for this mess.
32
33 /me feels majorly guilty
34
35 > [1] Sometimes I get the impression that users think that as long as a
36 > package works for them, that it works. This sadly isn't the case.
41 ~Nirbheek Chauhan
42 --
43 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list