From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Distcc and SLP - request for testing
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 22:58:50
1 On Sunday 20 November 2005 23:45, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Our policy for X is that if upstream won't accept it, we won't either.
3 It might work for you but it's not always possible. Sometimes there are
4 upstreams that simply does not accept things, or accepts them on a long
5 timeframe.
6
7 I used to patch xine-lib in big ways, and the patches gone in portage before
8 being accepted by upstream, this was the only way I had to try fixing the
9 "unreproduced" bugs.
10 Sometimes you can't just sit still and wait for upstream to act.. While it's
11 preferred that upstream accepts, there are things that needs to be fixed, no
12 matter what.
13
14 Gentoo/FreeBSD is one of the examples. Many people won't think two times about
15 fixing things for FreeBSD, don't ask me why, but it happens.
16
17 And what happens when the upstream is dead? We're plenty of those examples,
18 too.
19
20 Nah it can't be made a complete official policy, depends on the upstream
21 depends on the package and depends on the patch that needs to be applied.
24 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
25 Gentoo/ALT lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE