From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: zlib breakage
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 23:40:50
On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 4:26 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
> On 09/24/2011 02:10 AM, Matt Turner wrote: >> >> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@×××××.de> >>  wrote: >>> >>> I believe something needs to be done with the zlib- and -r2 >>> packages currently in the tree.  The maintainer of zlib pushed those >>> revisions with a patch that alters macro identifiers, making Gentoo's >>> zlib >>> incompatible with upstream.  As a result, a lot of packages stopped >>> building.  Bug reports for broken packages come in and then are being >>> modified to fit Gentoo's zlib. >>> >>> Breaking compatibility with upstream zlib also means that non-portage >>> software, the ones I install with "./configure --prefix=$HOME/usr&&  make >>> install", also won't build. >>> [...] >> >> It seemed to me like this was a silly problem from the outset. vapier >> did arguably the right thing, and if that means exposing some broken >> software, fine. We handle plenty of breakage worse than this, but I >> understand that it can be inconvenient. >> >> However, you completely lost any support when you said >> >>> Yes, bad idea.  But it's in my liberty to write code however I see fit. >> >> That just makes me want to slap you. >> >> I'll echo what vapier said in response: it's absolutely your >> prerogative to do whatever you want, but it's not our responsibility >> to make sure that it works in Gentoo. > > The code is perfectly valid.  You cannot force people to follow your coding > standards.  If it's valid C code, it doesn't matter that it contradicts your > personal preferences.  It's not your code and you don't have a saying in it. >  What's next, banning software that indents code with tabs instead of > spaces?
You are allowed to disagree with his changes; but that doesn't mean we must listen to you. I actually disagree with Vapier as well (I don't see why we would act without waiting for upstream) but I also trust his technical ability in matters like this.
I'm curious what you think the final answer should be? -A

Subject Author
[gentoo-dev] Re: zlib breakage Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>