From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Sets vs Meta ebuilds
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 23:23:02
1 On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 17:08:54 -0500
2 Ben Kohler <bkohler@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 4:42 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
5 > <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
8 > > If people understood, then saying use -c or -C makes no sense. It
9 > > does not address the lack of output from either I am talking about.
10 > >
11 > > --
12 > > William L. Thomson Jr.
13 > >
14 > I really thought I understood you in that you wanted true reverse
15 > dependencies calculated, to check against that, and warn for it.
16
17 You are correct in that. Which the -c option already does. It just does
18 not tell you why it did not remove a package. When you add -v/verbose.
19 It shows you the deps, or some. But it does not tell you it will not
20 remove because those packages depend on it. Seems obvious, but if you
21 did not use -v/verbose. You do not see those deps, and just have to
22 assume. Even when the deps are shown. The user must assume the package
23 was not removed due to deps, because its not saying explicitly.
24
25 It is not changing anything with the -c option. Other than generating
26 some additional generic text for the user as part of its current output
27 and function. With package A being the one they are trying to remove.
28 The rest would be boiler plate
29
30 "Package ${PN} not removed due to dependencies"
31
32 > I think that you are actually talking about a warning upon forced
33 > unmerge of anything not in /var/lib/portage/world, is that correct?
34
35 That is also correct. Its two fold.
36
37 - If using -c, the deps are known, or at least some, and takes time.
38 The output just needs to say will not remove because of deps. Not
39 specifically what deps. It could in theory stop on the first
40 encountered to save time, and only go further if -v is specified.
41 Which it may now I have not looked at the code.
42
43 - If using -C it should at minimum check if the package is in
44 world/user installed, and say something otherwise.
45
46 That part does not require it to resolve deps. Just check world file,
47 assuming its correct. Though could be thrown off if say gcc, or another
48 was in the world file. I think the profile or set would catch that as
49 it does now and generate a warning, regardless.
50
51 Now in the case of no world file, or something, they maybe revert back
52 to some of the behavior of -c. with -C. But I would think if no world
53 file, or packages in world. Then the user did not emerge anything or
54 nuked that file.
55
56 The -C option already seems to check say a profile and set file.
57 Otherwise how would it know that package was in either. Seems the same
58 could be done for a package not in either of those files, or world. To
59 warn, your removing a package you did not install.
60
61 I will file 2 bugs, that should be straight forward and clear.
64 William L. Thomson Jr.