From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFI: A better workflow for github pull requests
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 01:44:53
1 On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 9:02 PM, Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I agree. I think that any "master" version of whatever repo we use should
3 > be hosted on gentoo owned infrastructure.
4 >
5 > Github might be allowed to take pull requests but I think it should be a
6 > slave to whatever's hosted on gentoo.
7 >
8 > That way if anything gets screwed up on github gentoo could always hit the
9 > big fat reset button on gitub
10
11 That is essentially all that is being proposed. The pull request
12 system already exists on github. Really all the proposal is about is
13 better integrating it with bugzilla, which if anything makes the
14 content more accessible via FOSS tools.
15
16 Counter-intuitively, the repo itself is actually the part that
17 concerns me the least. With git the local clone you keep on your
18 desktop is just as suitable as any other copy of the repo should we
19 ever have to hit the reset button. The part that isn't distributed is
20 all the comments, discussion, issues, review, etc which generally goes
21 into bugzilla. If that were also a distributed database I'd have few
22 concerns about where that was hosted, since we're essentially talking
23 about the hosting only.
26 Rich