From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new profile layout with flavors and mix-ins
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 18:35:34
1 On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 2:32 PM, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o> wrote:
2 > Shallow profiles avoid this. Also "features" avoid this (the
3 > closest thing we have to mix-ins) provided they operate on a set of
4 > flags/packages orthogonal to the rest of the stack. You then have shallow
5 > base and you can add as many features as you like in, in any order,
6 > confident that one will not clobber stuff from another since each feature is
7 > well separated.
8
9 That was my thinking as well. If we had categories of profiles and
10 set up the rules to try to keep things orthogonal then we're going to
11 be better off. Also, things like feature profiles should try to be
12 additive in nature.
13
14 Rich