From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 15:21:03
1 On Wednesday 17 May 2006 14:24, Stephen Bennett wrote:
2 > On Wed, 17 May 2006 13:40:18 +0200
3 >
4 > Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> wrote:
5 > > Is there a problem about both of them being there?
6 >
7 > You can't use both on the same ROOT. The VDB format is subtly
8 > different.
9
10 So this would be an effort to prevent users to shoot themselves in the
11 foot.
12 >
13 > > I don't see a problem in changing the profiles to include
14 > > virtual/portage though where portage is the default provider. It is a
15 > > change unrelated to paludis, and would allow easier development of
16 > > any alternative package manager.
17 >
18 > This could be a viable alternative if the paludis profile is shown to
19 > be a no-go. A seperate profile would make things easier from a
20 > bug-wrangling point of view, since it would be easier to determine when
21 > a bug may be caused by using paludis.
22
23 At this point I don't see that paludis is ready for such thing. In any
24 case I think that optimally a package manager does not require its own
25 profile.
26
27 Paul
30 Paul de Vrieze