From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] DEPENDing on system components
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 14:06:15
1 Dan Armak wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi all,
4 >
5 > Can someone enlighten me: why DEPEND/RDEPEND on packages which are *always*
6 > present on the system, and are even pre-built in build snapshots? For example
7 > some ebuilds explicitly depend on virtual/glibc, what's the point in that?
8 > Many ebuilds use things like flex bison etc. to compile. When creating
9 > non-critical, non-system ebuilds which certainly won't be built before glibc
10 > or the kernel - should I keep track of these things?
11
12 Well the glibc dependencie is there to spearate packages that need glibc
13 from those who do not link against it
14 like for example docs or some java binary packages. If a package links
15 agains flex then flex should be in the depend variable, if it only uses
16 the flex binary during build, you don't have to add it to depend.
17
18 bye achim~
21 > --
22 >