From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: acct-{user,group} for milter (438)
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2019 04:36:48
1 On 12/13/19 4:17 PM, Ralph Seichter wrote:
2 > The mail-filter/milter-regex ebuild already uses user/group 'milter',
3 > and for the currently open bump to version 2.7 I'd like to claim GID/UID
4 > 438.
5
6 I recently cited the "milter" user on this list as a bad example from
7 the user.eclass days... it was used by at least three unrelated
8 packages: milter-regex, opendmarc, and opendkim. I fixed opendkim, of
9 course, but it looks like opendmarc still uses "milter" as its user, too.
10
11 Now would be a good time to switch them to unique accounts, since
12 neither package should be able to access the other's files. The obvious
13 choice for opendmarc is "opendmarc", and that's even what upstream
14 defaults to -- we sed it to "milter" in Gentoo.
15
16 I guess we could keep "milter" for only regex-milter, but that has the
17 disadvantage that it messes with the opendmarc package in the meantime.
18 Upstream uses "_milter-regex", and according to the PMS that's...
19 actually... a legal package name? How do people feel about that? It's
20 insane, for sure; but I'm too tired to tell if it's good insane or bad
21 insane.