From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [News item review] Python preference to follow PYTHON_TARGETS
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2021 19:09:11
1 On Sun, 2021-01-24 at 13:53 -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 7:21 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > For this reason, we have decided to change the default python-exec
5 > > configuration to match PYTHON_TARGETS by default, in the eclass
6 > > preference order, that is from the newest CPython version to oldest,
7 > > with alternative Python implementations coming afterwards. This change
8 > > will be propagated via the configuration protection mechanism whenever
9 > > dev-lang/python-exec-conf is installed or rebuilt due to PYTHON_TARGETS
10 > > changes. This will permit the users to interactively confirm
11 > > the updates.
12 > >
13 > > If the new default is not correct for you, please use your preferred
14 > > configuration update tool to discard or edit the new configuration file.
15 >
16 > Could we just spell out what the actual setting is? That way if a
17 > user accepts or rejects the change accidentally it is trivial to fix,
18 > vs making them hunt through the installed files to do a diff...
19 >
20 > Nothing wrong with the instructions - I'd just add one line about what
21 > setting controls this.
24 The exact paths are provided in the second paragraph. Am I missing
25 something?
28 Best regards,
29 Michał Górny