From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: A tiny news item for migrating to libjpeg-turbo
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 10:44:38
1 >>>>> On Mon, 23 Apr 2012, Samuli Suominen wrote:
2
3 > I don't really think this is necessary, but some people seem to.
4 > Looks fine?
5
6 > Title: The default JPEG implementation is libjpeg-turbo
7
8 Too long. GLEP 42 allows a maximum of 44 characters only.
9
10 > Author: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
11 > Content-Type: text/plain
12 > Posted: 2012-04-23
13 > Revision: 1
14 > News-Item-Format: 1.0
15 > Display-If-Installed: =media-libs/jpeg-8*
16
17 > libjpeg-turbo is a derivative of libjpeg that uses MMX, SSE, SSE2, and NEON
18 > SIMD instructions to accelerate baseline JPEG compression/decompression by
19 > about 2-4x on x86, x86-64, and ARM platforms. It is based on libjpeg/SIMD but
20 > has numerous enhancements.
21
22 I'd suggest to use our standard names for these architectures, i.e. x86,
23 amd64, and arm.
24
25 > All users are recommended to migrate:
26
27 > # emerge -C media-libs/jpeg:0
28 > # emerge -1 media-libs/libjpeg-turbo
29
30 > >From here on out media-libs/jpeg:0 is only used as a fallback and at the time
31 > of writing this news item, libjpeg-turbo has no known bugs that would require
32 > using it.
33
34 Maybe avoid the word "From" at the beginning of the line. eselect news
35 will escape it properly, but it looks somewhat ugly.
36
37 And please wrap the body text at 72 chars (GLEP 42 says so).
38
39 Ulrich