From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [PROPOSAL] Menu system for all gentoo wm's.
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 06:13:41
1 On Friday 30 May 2003 00:58, Svyatogor wrote:
2 > > Anyway, what about the freedesktop.org standard for .desktop files? It
3 > > has some very nice features such as multiple categories per item,
4 > > multilpe-language descriptions, etc. More importantly, both kde and gnome
5 > > will use that standard in their next releases (maybe gnome already does,
6 > > not sure). So why don't we build on top of that? Other people in other
7 > > distros, as well as the developers of various packages and of WMs other
8 > > than kde and gnome, will surely be adding support for it in the future.
9 > > Why do we want yet another custom system? How is it better than what
10 > > freedesktop.org has (with perhaps portage-centric tools written to make
11 > > things easier)?
12 >
13 > I'm not really sure what you mean. But if I got it right I guess we could
14 > use their specification for the central menu, while it does not change the
15 > idea of generating wm-specific menu through the foo.menu script. At leasr
16 > while 99% of window managers do not support it directly :)
17
18 Yes, that's what I meant. It's at
19 http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/menu/draft/menu-spec/menu-spec.html and
20 is only a draft so far, but kde and gnome already agree on it (they just
21 might jointly modify it a bit in the future). It's as good in itself as any
22 other proposal, I'd say, since we don't have to use all the advanced
23 features...
26 Dan Armak
27 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
28 Matan, Israel