From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] where goes Gentoo?
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 05:01:31
1 I'm not a developer, but I'm a Gentoo bigot and I'd like to join the
2 discussion :).
3
4 Aron Griffis wrote:
7 >In my humble opinion, Gentoo is missing too many points to be an
8 >enterprise Linux. We commit to a live tree. We don't have true QA,
9 >testing or tinderbox. We don't have paid staff, alpha/beta/rc cycles.
10 >We don't really have product lifecycles, since we don't generally
11 >backport fixes to older versions, requiring instead for people to
12 >update to a more recent release. We don't have, and probably will
13 >never be able to offer, support contracts. We support as wide a range
14 >of hardware as the upstream kernel, plus hardware that requires
15 >external drivers; we don't have access to a great deal of the hardware
16 >for which we provide drivers. We understand when real life gets in
17 >the way of bug-fixing, because all our developers are volunteers.
20 Another thing worthy of mention here is that Gentoo is a non-profit
21 organization, with some rather tight restrictions imposed by US tax laws.
22
23 >I think that attempting to take Gentoo in the "enterprise" direction
24 >is a mistake. I think that we are a hobbyist distribution. This
25 >doesn't mean that we should not strive to meet some of the enterprise
26 >goals. Those things can be important to hobbyists too. But I don't
27 >think we should be aiming for corporate America.
30 You aren't -- trust me. You're not on corporate America's radar screen.
31 I'm not sure SuSE or Novell is either. Corporate America lives, breathes
32 and eats Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
33
34 >I don't even understand why that goal appeals to people. Let other
35 >distros go there! I want Gentoo to run in people's homes, in student
36 >dorm rooms, etc. Places where people want a fun distribution that
37 >they can tailor and work on easily.
40 Gentoo is running in my home. And it's running in a *lot* of laboratories.
41
42 >I like the idea of Gentoo on alternative arches and in embedded
43 >environments. Not because I want Sony to start using Gentoo on
44 >walkmans, but purely because the idea of running Linux on a PDA is
45 >cool. I'd like Gentoo to be a place where neat things are developed.
46 >If RH or SuSE (or another for-profit Linux vendor) wants to take some
47 >of those developments and use them to make a profit, that's fine with
48 >me. We're over here having fun.
52 It's also fine with the GPL :). I'm not sure I care about alternative
53 arches, given Apple's announcement today. In case you didn't hear,
54 they're migrating to Intel processors for Macs, starting as soon as next
55 year on the Mini-Mac. I've got a Zaurus; it's running some kind of Linux
56 and I'll probably put Gentoo on it when I get some spare cycles,
57 provided Gentoo runs on the 6000. But I'm sure as hell not gonna try to
58 run R or TeXmacs or Maxima on it!
59
60 >Also I find it amusing when people say that Gentoo exists for the
61 >users. I think that is wrong. Gentoo exists for the *developers*.
62 >It's our playground, and it's the reason we use a live tree rather
63 >than switching to an actually sane approach. The users are cool
64 >because they point out bugs, help solve problems on bugzilla, suggest
65 >enhancements, provide patches, and notify us of package updates.
66 >Sometimes they become developers. But the truth is that Gentoo sees
67 >improvement and maintenance in the areas that appeal to the
68 >developers. And that is why Gentoo exists for the developers first,
69 >the users second.
72 Well ... OK ... I'll never become a developer; I just have too many
73 hobbies to pin myself down that tightly with what little free time I
74 have. I think you're right, though ... Gentoo *is* for the developers.
75 Ultimately, though, so is GNU/Linux. It's an enviroment of the
76 programmers, by the programmers, and for the programmers, to paraphrase
77 Abe Lincoln.
78
79 I'm certainly not in this to try and take money away from Bill Gates, or
80 to torture intellectual property attorneys. I'm in this because I like
81 the tools, I use the tools, I've been using similar tools for 20 years,
82 and I'm fortunate enough to have a day job where I spend at least a good
83 chunk of the time working with Linux.
84
85 So ... since nobody has asked ... why Gentoo? Well, I started out in
86 Linux with Red Hat 6.2, stayed with them through Red Hat 9. When they
87 created Fedora, I went to Debian. If Debian had the level of support for
88 Java that Gentoo has, I'd probably still be there. But it doesn't, so I
89 switched. The rest of Gentoo's joys just grew on me. :)
90
91 The best thing for me about Gentoo is that it's almost trivial to
92 package software. If you can download it, follow directions, and install
93 it, you're 90 percent of the way to packaging it! I was in a discussion
94 on the R developers mailing list the other day about package management.
95 They, like Perl, have their own source repository, dependency tree, etc.
96 It struck me that it would probably take less than a week to create
97 "/usr/portage/app-sci-CRAN" -- CRAN is the Comprehensive R Archive
98 Network -- and populate it with 500-odd R packages, complete with R
99 package dependencies *and* dependencies on underlying Linux packages,
100 something they don't seem to have now.
101 --
102 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list