From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Acquiring a deeper understanding of Gentoo
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 17:44:36
1 On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 10:10 -0700, Mark S Petrovic wrote:
2 > Good day.
3 >
4 > I am about to embark on a serious project and I am considering Gentoo
5 > as the platform. My luck with installation, on which I've spent several
6 > solid days, thus far has been mixed, and I'm willing to hold off believing
7 > it's not just me. I suspect Gentoo works, but thus far just not for me.
8 > But I see the promise it holds.
9
10 Well, it seems to work for quite a few people. The best method for
11 installation is to follow the Gentoo Handbook to the letter.
12
13 > Is there a principal Gentoo developer in Northern or Southern California
14 > (preferred) to whom I can pay a visit to gain a deeper understanding of
15 > who the Gentoo team is, what they are trying to accomplish, and how?
16
17 Gentoo does not have "principal developers" in the sense that you might
18 be accustomed to, as we are all given equal rights within Gentoo. We
19 are all volunteers, and not paid employees of some company. There also
20 is not much in the way of a single direction that guides Gentoo, as we
21 are a metadistribution, designed to allow our users to use Gentoo in the
22 manner that they see fit. We have developers that are specifically
23 dedicated to working on Gentoo in the enterprise. We have developers
24 dedicated to improving Gentoo in the embedded space. We have developers
25 dedicated to gaming on Gentoo. We have developers dedicated to Gentoo
26 as a desktop.
27
28 The real question that needs to be asked is what do you want Gentoo to
29 do for you.
32 Chris Gianelloni
34 Games - Developer
35 Gentoo Linux