From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Making more repoman checks fatal
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 13:49:26
1 On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 21:00:16 +0800 Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > Right now repoman is relatively permissive - it whines about many things, but
3 > treats many issues as warning.
4 > The result is that many ebuilds get committed with 'minor' cosmetic issues
5 > which then someone more OCD than the original committer cleans up, making
6 > pretty much everyone involved more unhappy.
7 >
8 > There's no reason to not error out on, for example, an invalid RESTRICT. Just
9 > printing a message is relatively useless.
12 > Thus I suggest making the following warnings proper errors:
13 >
14 > (Taken from current repoman 'qawarnings' set)
15 [...]
16 > "ebuild.minorsyn",
17
18 Not this one, please. It gives tons of false warnings, e.g.:
19 ebuild.minorsyn 1
20 media-video/kino/kino-1.3.4.ebuild: Unquoted Variable on line: 95
21
22 It also have problems with nested "\"\"" constructs. I can't
23 remember example right now.
24
25 > "ebuild.badheader",
26 > "metadata.warning",
27 > "LIVEVCS.stable",
28 > "LIVEVCS.unmasked",
29 >
30 > Most of these have few or no occurrences in the current tree, so changing the
31 > default from warn to error won't get in the way of the normal workflow.
32 >
33 > (A few of them, like DESCRIPTION.toolong, still have about a dozen leftovers,
34 > but that should be easy to fix)
35
36 I don't see any reasons to make this one fatal.
37
38 Best regards,
39 Andrew Savchenko