From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: extending project xml to have stuff that the project is working on and collect them as Gentoo current goals
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 06:40:28
1 Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> posted 461BF4D1.6090204@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Tue, 10 Apr 2007 23:34:25 +0300:
3
4 > As the recent thread showed there is a lot going on in Gentoo land
5 > although it doesn't always seem so. I propose we extend project xml to
6 > describe current stuff going on in the project in question and their
7 > estimated completion date. Then we require this file to be updated
8 > monthly. What do you think?
9
10 I think proposals such as this have come up before. (No offense
11 intended. In fact, probably you and enough others it's time to outline
12 the reasons again, simply weren't around at the time.) I think they went
13 nowhere, in part because it was thought to be just more bureaucracy
14 forced (the term you used was required) on the team leads, to little
15 ultimate effect (see kloeri's cron remarks).
16
17 Remember, Gentoo's all volunteers. You can't force them to do it as part
18 of their job (for their paycheck). What's the penalty going to be?
19 Suspension of the team lead, throwing a monkey wrench in the progress
20 that was being made? Dissolving the project? From what I've observed
21 here and elsewhere over the years, a "requirement" that can't be enforced
22 is a very unhealthy thing.
23
24 Thus, it's not a very practical idea, or at least no one was able to
25 figure out how to make it such in previous rounds.
26
27 Instead, what tends to happen is somewhat less frequently and more
28 informally, but perhaps more effectively as it's not forced.
29 Periodically, perhaps twice a year or so, someone starts a thread like
30 the one you referred to. Often it's prompted by year-end or mid-year,
31 and someone posts an impromptu summary of where their project is. Other
32 times, it's as this one, started for other reasons. However, once one
33 person posts a summary, another does and another, and pretty soon most of
34 the projects have... and everybody did it impromptu, nothing "required"
35 about it. =8^)
36
37 Of course, in more specific cases, the council notices and ultimately
38 meetings often bring about discussion of projects of particular interest
39 at the moment.
40
41 In any case, it may not get to the project's web page, but anyone (dev,
42 user, journalist, or simply curious public) caring enough to follow this
43 list ends up seeing the updates as I said, perhaps twice a year or so.
44 If one were suitably devious, one could even scheme to generate such a
46 the pile-on effect and see where everyone was, again without "requiring"
47 reports of anyone. =8^)
48
49 Of course, often these threads get mentioned in GWN and thus features not
50 only there, but as a result on the Gentoo home page and on community
51 sites such as LWN as well, so one doesn't even have to follow this list
52 to know about it, only make /some/ effort to be keeping up with general
53 things Gentoo, and they'll probably see coverage of the thread.
58 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
61 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list