From: Tony Vroon <chainsaw@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, sound@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] beep-media-player removal: 04/03/2006
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 13:40:20

Good afternoon,

Please note that I am planning to remove beep-media-player and
accompanying plugin packages from the portage tree on March 4, 2006,
unless
anyone can convince me of a good reason why they should stay.
This software has been abandoned by it's authors since October 2005,
and is
masked starting today.

Note that a currently active fork exists (Audacious), which has absorbed
the necessary functionality to play all formats that BMP would have
needed a plugin for. The 0.1.2 release of Audacious has the same
stable keywords
that beep-media-player has, and should prove to be an effortless
upgrade. For anyone
running ~arch, release 0.2 is available.
Audacious is the recommended upgrade path from beep-media-player.
Most, if not all the bmp
plugins available in portage have already been absorbed into this program.

Regards,
Tony (Chainsaw)