From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Chromium system ffmpeg
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 16:40:33
1 On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 4:59 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 6:54 AM, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 21:10:12 -0800
4 >> ""Paweł Hajdan, Jr."" <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> What when chromium upstream uses code more recent than latest ffmpeg
7 >>> release and it doesn't compile against latest release?
8 >>
9 >> Blame them, it's stupid to break support for the latest release.
10 >> Usually, it's quite trivial to maintain compatibility and you should
11 >> probably lobby upstream to get this as a rule, it'd make life simpler
12 >> for everyone. Or just patch releases not to use too bleeding-edge code
13 >> (see mplayer for example).
14 >
15 > While I agree in principle, that is much easier said than done. I
16 > think upstream is more likely to consider the concept of a linux
17 > distro broken than their code.
18 >
19 > The unpacked chromium distfile is 1.1G, of which 694M is third party
20 > source-code. The chromium team has done an excellent job of disabling
21 > much of that, but the upstream attitude clearly is to cherry-pick
22 > their dependencies. This is pretty typical for Google projects from
23 > what I've seen - ChromeOS basically is a fork of Gentoo with many
24 > packages being fairly dated, and Android does just about everything
25 > its own way, typically releasing third-party code into production
26 > before any upstream packages have access to it.
27
28 Google generally prefers agility. Particularly when machines have gobs
29 of memory (so bundling is not as big of a deal as it was previously)
30 and they can staff security fixes for all their bundled libs. This is
31 quite a pervasive attitude there. Coming from a distribution
32 background it can be weird to see the different priorities (and
33 terrible systems that build the packages that work on $DISTRO, ew.)
34
35 -A
38 > Of course, we should encourage upstream to improve its practices. I
39 > just wouldn't count on it, so I think we need to give the chromium
40 > team discretion on just how much patching they think they can handle.
41 > They're obviously pretty good at it already.
42 >
43 > Rich