From: Xavier Neys <neysx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rsync speed and space taken
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 13:38:30
1 Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Monday 11 October 2004 12:37, Travis Tilley wrote:
3 >
4 >>Duncan wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>.. About 3 and a half minutes. I just timed it.
7 >>
8 >>rm -rf /usr/portage and time it again.
12 > For people that have slow rsync times, there is the alternative to run
13 > emerge-websync. It is maximally a day behind and works well.
14 > Unfortunately it needs to download a lot more, but doesn't need to scan
15 > the whole local and remote trees.
16
17 Actually, it will scan two trees, two *local* ones, on top of some extra I/O
18 FYI, webrsync does :
19 1) download a 16M snapshot
20 2) unpack its 100,000+ files
21 <rant>latest GWN sees it as a record, let's aim for 250,000 files</rant>
22 3) run rsync between temp dir and /usr/portage
23 4) rm 100,000 temp files
24 5) emerge metadata
25
26 emerge-webrsync is not meant to decrease I/O, in fact, it increases local I/O.
27 It is meant for people who can't use rsync because it's blocked (or because
28 there is no connection at all).
31 Wkr,
32 --
33 / Xavier Neys