From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] packages which won't support x32
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 14:30:07
1 This is the case with dev-lang/v8: it doesn't build on x32
2 (<https://bugs.gentoo.org/423815>), and upstream said they *won't*
3 support x32
4 (<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/v8-users/c-_URSZqTq8/7wHl095t2CMJ>).
5
6 Note that with v8 it's not just about getting v8 itself to compile, but
7 also making it generate correct JIT code on x32, which would require
8 substantial changes to v8 code (in fact, a whole new 40K arch port, see
9 the discussion linked to above).
10
11 Should dev-lang/v8 get p.masked on x32 profile, or is there some better
12 way to handle it? What are your suggestions?
13
14 I had a crazy idea to just build v8 and v8-dependent packages using
15 non-x32 ABI, but I'm not sure if it's possible and if it would be the
16 right thing to do.
17
18 Paweł