From: David Leverton <levertond@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] `paludis --info' is not like `emerge --info'
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 09:21:28
1 On Sunday 10 May 2009 04:23:25 Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
2 > 1. It was a paludis bug, of course paludis --info came in handy (are
3 > you trying to jest? ;p)
4
5 It's most likely not a Paludis bug; do you really think that no-one's ever
6 tried to compile Qt4 on amd64 with Paludis until now? I'm guessing a
7 misconfiguration, but we'll have to wait for the real paludis --info output
8 (NOT emerge --info, because that doesn't say anything about the Paludis
9 configuration) to be sure.
10
11 > 2. You found it useful because you knew the syntax, and where to look
12 > for what -- it is relevant to you. Not to everyone else
13
14 It's useful and relevant if and only if it contains information that helps
15 diagnose the problem. In the likely event that it's a misconfiguration, that
16 applies to paludis --info, but probably not emerge --info, unless he made the
17 same mistake with both.
18
19 > 3. Also, last comment on the bug:
20 >
21 > "The emerge --info and paludis --info I reported above are from the wrong
22 > machine. I'll update the results on Monday when I get back to the correct
23 > machine. It is a Xeon W5580 cpu which should be compiling as x86_64. I
24 > believe the bug is real. Sorry for the confusion."
25 >
26 > Oops? =p
27
28 If anything, that's a point in favour of tanderson's argument. If the --info
29 the user had posted had been right, then both the paludis and emerge output
30 are equally useful, because they both indicate that it isn't an amd64 system
31 at all. On the other hand, if it turns out that on the correct system,
32 Paludis is misconfigured and Portage isn't, then only paludis --info will
33 help.