From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 49 - take 2
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 21:55:09
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 22 May 2006 14:59:33 -0400 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o> wrote:
3 > | It should be pretty clear that one of the main problems is letting
4 > | others decide which features we will and wont have and defining our
5 > | standards based on their needs and not our own.
6 >
7 > So where are the use and slot deps?
10 You will be tired of hearing this but backwards compat is a big issue.
11 It is an issue that I think the portage team took into consideration far
12 too much in the past, leading to this current situation. Most sane
13 people realize that many of the features people want are not possible
14 with the 2.X Portage codebase; except if the codebase is gutted. The
15 Portage team didn't want to break backwards compatability a half dozen
16 times, making people rewrite all the necessary tools in order to work
17 with the new code.
18
19 Perhaps this was a mistake, perhaps the portage team should have done so
20 in the past in order to push the required features. At this point I
21 don't see portage going anywhere, if only because it has the same
22 problems it always did. Too much spaghetti code, too much code
23 dependency, bascailly requiring a rewrite of 6000+ lines of code just to
24 make it "usable".
25
26 You make it seem like some easily solvable thing that anyone can do.
27 You make it seem like the dep-resolver the portage team envisions is
28 child's play to write. Frankly I don't see where these assertions come
29 from.
30
31 Alec Warner
32 --