From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: python@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Proposed dates for Python 3.10 switch and Python 3.8 removal
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 16:06:06
1 Hi,
2
3 I'd like to add some dates regarding 3.8 removal and 3.10 switch to
4 the implementation timeline [1].
5
6 Unless I'm mistaken, CPython is following a yearly release cycle these
7 days. I think it would make sense to also aim for a yearly cycle
8 in Gentoo, i.e. roughly switch to the next minor version every year.
9
10 Hence my proposal would be to:
11
12 a. ASAP: send "please port your packages to py3.9" mail
13
14 b. 2022-06-01: remove py3.8 target
15
16 c. ASAP: stabilize Python 3.9 interpreter + start working towards
17 unmasking python3_9 flag on stable
18
19 d. 2022-06-01: switch the default to py3.10
20
21 In other news, there's a good chance that PyPy3 will catch up to 3.9
22 before we remove 3.8.
23
24 WDYT?
27 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Python/Implementations#Implementation_support_timeline