From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Manifest2 format
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 17:03:51
1 On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 16:15:49 +0100
2 Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wednesday 07 December 2005 04:04, Marius Mauch wrote:
5 > > As stated in the GLEP, gpg is outside the scope of this. As for the
6 > > questions, per entry sigs would invert one of the main goals (size
7 > > reduction). And so far I haven't seen any sufficient answer to
8 > > questions I raised on -core and -portage-dev regarding the
9 > > transaction/stacked/fragmented/whatever-you-want-to-call-it Manifest
10 > > signing proposed by Robin, so I'm still quite against it.
11 >
12 > Per entry sigs make no sense in the current design. All ebuilds can
13 > touch all files, and so the complete manifest should be verified.
14 > This means that the whole manifest should be signed.
15 >
16 > Having said that, I would like to argue that this GLEP be implemented
17 > only together with gpg signing the manifest. Doing otherwise would
18 > require another change in the manifest format in a short time. If the
19 > manifest format has optional signing that would also be ok. Just
20 > align the requirements and make manifest2 and the gpg signing of it
21 > compatible.
22
23 Signing is already implemented and independent of the Manifest
24 format. It's just not yet mandatory due to the missing key policy.
25
26 Marius
31 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
32 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.