From: Bob Phan <bob@×××××××××.com>
To: Gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ebuild info: author, maintainer and copyrights
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 13:21:06
1 On 8 Feb 2002, Vitaly Kushneriuk wrote:
2
3 > > But all of a sudden I have to trust you? You won't trust Gentoo, why should
4 > > anybody want to trust eachother then? If people keep the copyright to them-
5 > > selves, it would mean that small pieces of Gentoo could fall into proprie-
6 > > tary status.
7 > No. The whole point is that once no one is holding _all_ the copyrights
8 > you don't have to worry. You don't have to trust me.
9 > If I want I _can_ use the code _I_ wrote in propriatry product.
10
11 By "code" you _are_ referring to ebuilds, correct? They are shell scripts
12 that are for all intents and purposes useless to anything other than
13 portage anyway. Most of it is "derived" from the README file in the
14 original tarball anyway. Personally, I'll copywrite all my ebuilds to
15 gentoo out of sheer apathy. Countless hours of work and a decent
16 distro to boot should be plenty to base "trust" off of. If you don't want
17 to, that's fine, but your reasoning is flawed, and the message you send to
18 others is unnecessary. I've been more swayed by the pragmatic approaches
19 of the Open Source movement. By working together in an open way you, end
20 up with a better quality product. In other words, let it be and just
21 enjoy the ride.
22
23 /*
24 * Bob Phan <bob@×××××××××.com,rphan@××××.com>
25 * Computational Chemistry Informatics
26 * Neurogen Corporation
27 * (203)488-8201 x4645
28 *
29 * To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.
30 */