From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Standard build environment variables
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2020 13:36:42
1 On 2020-06-30 12:22, Matthew Thode wrote:
2 >
3 > I'd like to suggest allowing only approved variables in the build
4 > environment, having portage unset all variables and setting only what is
5 > needed (or configured).
6
7 I think this is orthogonal to the problem I'm trying to solve. Even if
8 all environment variables had to be whitelisted, ebuilds would still
9 need to know how to use them when they happen to be defined.
10
11 I basically just want to write down things like "If set, CC is assumed
12 to contain the name of a compiler driver such as /usr/bin/gcc." That way
13 ebuilds can be written to pass $CC to the build system in places that
14 are expecting a compiler driver. Conversely, if LD is documented to
15 contain a dynamic linker such as /bin/ld, then ebuilds must mangle LD
16 whenever the upstream build system (e.g. pari, perl) interprets it
17 otherwise.
18
19 These meanings are already enshrined in the tc-getFOO() functions and
20 the various de-facto standards, but there's no user or developer
21 documentation promising that the variables will be used in any
22 particular way.