From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Removing 'selinux? ( sec-policy/selinux-*)' from DEPEND
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2014 12:17:30
1 On Mon, Sep 01, 2014 at 11:26:49PM +0200, Tom Wijsman wrote:
2 > > [...]
3 > >
4 > > With this change, we implement the same end result (correctly labeled
5 > > files after installation) while removing the need for the DEPEND
6 > > dependency. After all, this was not a build-time dependency but a
7 > > "merge-time" one, which we abused a bit to make things work.
8 > >
9 > > With this change in place, we can now update the tree (at least, for
10 > > those packages that do not have other SELinux related dependency
11 > > requirements - those that link with libselinux still need it in
12 > > DEPEND of course) to remove the USE="selinux" conditional dependency
13 > > from DEPEND.
14 > >
15 > > Given the discussion on dynamic dependencies and so, I am thinking
16 > > about doing this as follows:
17 > >
18 > > 1. Create a tracker with separate bugs for every package where this
19 > > change can be made
20 > > 2. Give developers time to apply this (simple) change together with
21 > > whatever other changes they were planning.
22 > > 3. After 6 months or so, do the change myself (with revbump)
23 > >
24 > > [...]
25 > >
26 > > Is this a good approach to take?
27 > >
28 > > [...]
31 > LGTM; we should avoid unnecessary bumps & rebuilds for trivial changes,
32 > especially when a USE flag based dependency line is removed from DEPEND.
33
34 Michał Górny told me on IRC that I might be approaching this incorrectly (or
35 at least, inefficiently). I was working on the massive bug-spree (right now
36 stopped around 22% of the packages to investigate) so I'm temporarily
37 holding off until I'm certain.
38
39 The only change I want to instill on packages is to remove the USE="selinux"
40 specific dependency to a sec-policy/selinux-* package from the DEPEND
41 variable. So something like:
42
43 DEPEND="
44 foo
45 - bar
46 - selinux? ( sec-policy/selinux-bez )"
47 + bar"
48
49 If I am allowed to do this change without revbumping, I can just stop making
50 massive bug reports and do the change(s) myself...
51
52 Someone? Pretty-please?
53
54 Wkr,