From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge --binpkg-changed-deps
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 22:04:45
1 On 08/04/2015 01:16 PM, Marc Schiffbauer wrote:
2 > hi all,
3 >
4 > i find it a bit hard to understand how --binpkg-changed-deps is supposed
5 > to work and what implications it has. Moreover I think the man page is
6 > not very clear about what it does:
7 >
8 > "--binpkg-changed-deps [ y | n ]
9 > Tells emerge to ignore binary packages for which the corresponding
10 > ebuild dependencies have changed since the packages were built. In
11 > order to help avoid issues with resolving inconsistent
12 > dependencies, this option is automatically enabled unless the
13 > --usepkgonly option is enabled. Behavior with respect to changed
14 > build-time dependencies is controlled by the --with-bdeps option.
15 > "
16 >
17 > This looks a bit confusing to me. Am I alone with that?
18 >
19 > If I understand that option right, maybe this text is better?
20 >
21 > --binpkg-changed-deps [ y | n ]
22 > When enabled tells emerge to ignore a binary package and do a
23 > source build instead if the corresponding ebuild runtime dependencies
24 > (RDEPEND) have changed in the portage tree since the package was built.
25
26 It doesn't necessarily imply a source build, since you can have multiple
27 binary packages available. With FEATURES=binpkg-multi-instance, you can
28 have multiple local binary packages of the same package version in
29 PKGDIR. Even without FEATURES=binpkg-multi-instance, you can also have
30 multiple binary packages of the same package version coming from
31 multiple binhosts.
32
33 > To help avoid issues with resolving inconsistent dependencies this
34 > option is enabled by default unless using source builds is disabled
35 > by the --usepkgonly option.
36
37 Adding "using source builds is disabled" would be a valid way to clarify
38 the meaning of --usepkgonly.
39
40 > If the --with-bdeps option is also enabled, changed build-time
41 > dependencies (DEPEND) will be considered instead.
42
43 Not instead, but in addition to.
46 > (Am not 100% sure whether the last sentence is technically correct)
47 >
48 > What do you think?
49 >
50 > -Marc