From: Eric Sammer <esammer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] The Gentoo Installer Project
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 19:03:08
1 All:
2
3 One of the other members of the installer project (samyron) brought my
4 attention to the Enterprise Installer thread. I haven't been able to
5 keep up with gentoo-dev email as my day job has me quite busy as of
6 late. First of all, I'd like to apologize for "not coming out of the
7 woodwork" - it certain wasn't on purpose or due to lack of interest - it
8 was just due to Real Life(tm). :)
9
10 The purpose of this email is just to clarify some points and attempt to
11 be a bit more transparent about the GLI project.
12
13 The installer project was started to create a flexible installation
14 framework for both non-gui automated installers, and "desktop style"
15 installs ala other major distributions. We are creating a series of
16 frameworks and libraries that will allow automated server deployment,
17 imaging, and other common installation tasks. Installation will be
18 possible from source or prebuilt binaries - the installer is not tied to
19 either and is not related to GRP at all. Also, to answer an immediate
20 concern of long time Gentoo users and devs - the current method of
21 installation ("by hand") will absolutely NOT be going away or become
22 unavailable.
23
24 As it stands, we have a working design and are concentrating on
25 implementation. We have a rather small team at the moment and Real Life
26 does interfere, but the project is still active.
27
28 If you're interested in contributing (in any way - not just coders are
29 needed) please join us in #gentoo-installer on freenode and / or
30 subscribe to the gentoo-installer mailing list. Please also check out
31 the docs on the project page which should provide additional information
32 about what is going on (but yes, they are a bit out of date and haven't
33 been updated as of late). The current team is:
34
35 Kurt Lieber (klieber)
36 Donnie Berkholz (spyderous)
37 Brandon Hale (tseng)
38 Nathaniel McCallum (npmccallum)
39 Scott Myron (samyron)
40 (me) Eric Sammer (esammer)
41
42 Other active people in the project are (by IRC nick): cshields, codeman,
43 blackace, agaffney, and others.
44
45 Join us. All are welcome and all (polite) comments are equally welcome.
46
47 Hope to see more people getting involved soon.
48 Regards.
49 --
50 E. Sammer
51 esammer@g.o