From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] new depend atom?
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 12:19:26
1 hi folks
2
3 in last time, i read emerge output like this pretty often:
4
5 *
6 * NOTE: This package requires the domxml extension.
7 * To enable domxml, add xml2 to your USE settings
8 * and re-merge php.
9 *
10
11 sometimes it's an einfo, sometimes a ewarn and sometimes a eerror, and
12 depending on my use flag, the ebuild fails or not.
13
14 so what about a new depend atom? i think such a line would be nice:
15
16 DEPEND="dev-php/php domxml"
17
18 if we used such a depend atom, we'd need less user interaction and no
19 einfo-workarounds, it'd be a proper way.
20
21 the problem of course is that portage has to know which use flags every
22 package was built with and that the new depend atom possibly breaks
23 backwards compatibilty. perhaps that could be in the same release as the
24 solution for the MD5 issue?
25
26 just a thought...
27