From: heroxbd <heroxbd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: cartesian product extension to keyword system
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 09:26:32
1 Dearr Fabian,
2
3 Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> writes:
4
5 >> Furthermore if the ebuild has "amd64" keyword, it will certainly
6 >> build on amd64-linux too.
7 >
8 > Somewhat likely, but absolutely not true.
9
10 Sorry, the original phrase was vague. I meant, if an ebuild is keyworded
11 "amd64" and "x86-linux", it will certainly work on "amd64-linux"
12
13 >> Therefore we propose the following cartesian product extension to
14 >> keyword system.
15 >
16 > We added the keywords as is, to uniquely define which systems it works
17 > on. Assuming something will work because it should be similar is (and
18 > has been proven in the past to be) wrong.
19
20 Every system is different. We are grouping similar systems into
21 corresponding keywords, and already assuming ability for
22 extrapolation. And now we observe that ARCH and KERNEL are quite
23 independent. They can be decomposed into two dimensions. Why don't me
24 exploit this fact?
25
26 Cheers,
27 Benda