From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: Facilitating user contributed ebuilds (Was: [gentoo-dev] The future of the Sunrise project)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 16:18:53
1 On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 12:16 PM, james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On 06/10/2016 08:00 AM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 >> The Exherbo model is not "packages are all over the place and there is
6 >> no coordination whatsoever". The model is "packages that lots of people
7 >> use are in a small number of core repositories and are carefully dealt
8 >> with to avoid breakages,
9 >
10 > Kinda like the @system + selected profile package list?
13 I suspect it would be more like all core dependencies and common
14 packages. So, think KDE, Gnome, X11, python, perl, etc. We're not
15 just talking @system.
16
17 Basically any package that any average person is reasonably likely to
18 be familiar with.
19
20 There is a very long tail of stuff that would be outside of the
21 official repos, but you wouldn't care about 99% of it, which is why it
22 would be outside the official repos.
23
24 And my understanding again for Exherbo is that they use code review in
25 all official repos, so even if you're the only maintainer of a package
26 and it is in your own git repo, you're still going to put your commits
27 through code review before you commit them to your own repo. It isn't
28 like the Gentoo overlay model where they're all anything-goes.
31 Rich