From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] (no subject)
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 23:23:17
1 On Fri, 2002-02-15 at 00:40, Trinity wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I do wish to apologise in advance for posting to both lists. I had
5 > posed this question on gentoo-user but received no response. So, I
6 > shall ask again, here, with hope for better feedback. During bootup,
7 > at depscan.sh step, I get the error which looks like: depscan.sh: awk:
8 > command not found. I was wondering if this is subtly dangerous or not,
9 > and what the fix to this might be.
12 It is a 'awk' command outside a function in /etc/init.d/xdm
13 that is causing this.
14
15 Copy /usr/portage/x11-base/xfree/files/4.2.0-r6/xdm.start to
16 /etc/init.d/xdm and it should be fixed.
17
18 > The second issue concerns mc/mcedit. I have mcedit set up as my editor
19 > in mutt. But, when I save a message I get the following, everytime:
20 >
21 > load_client_codepage: filename /usr/lib/codepages/codepage.850 does not
22 > exist.
23 >
24 > Again, I do not know what this is all about. While we are on the
25 > subject of mail. I have installed postfix, and set it up, per the
26 > website's instruction guide, to use /var/spool/mail. I sent mail to
27 > myself, but I am unable to delete that mail, because the mailbox is
28 > readonly, for some reason. Also, I am having some trouble sending
29 > mail.
30 >
31 > The biggest issue of concern today, though, is glibc2.2.5. I tried to
32 > emerge it earlier today, and towards the end of the install process I
33 > got an error which repeated itself hundreds of times that libdl.so.2
34 > was missing. It is, in fact, not missing. Anyway, my box was left
35 > useless, and I ultimately had to unpack a slack.tgz for glibc-2.2.3
36 > onto the root of my gentoo partitions (followed by ldconfig -r -- I
37 > have a feeling that I may not have needed to unpack the tgz, come to
38 > think of it). That allowed me to boot, and then I tried to emerge
39 > again. Same error. Eventually, I simply emerged 2.2.4 back on here,
40 > and things seem to be in order. Funny thing is that Matthew Kennedy,
41 > one of the gentoo ebuild contributors emerged 2.2.5 with no hitches
42 > whatsoever, and we are running almost identical systems. Any ideas why
43 > my system did not like it? Also, why is ssmtp part of emerge --world
44 > update? I already have postfix installed as my mta..
47 > Thanks so much for all your time, and my apologies again for posting to
48 > both lists -- I do realise I am being somewhat rude in doing that. My
49 > intention is not to spam, but rather to get some help, which my
50 > spamming may not aid, because some people may get annoyed --- I am
51 > getting dizzy with this line of thinking...
52 >
53 > Anyway, thanks,
54 >
55 > Seemant
58 > PS. My congratulations to Mr. Robbins and the developers - Gentoo is
59 > what I have been looking for in a distribution. Thank you for
60 > providing it.
61 >
63 > "Duty is God" - Sathya Sai Baba
67 > Do You Yahoo!?
68 > Send FREE Valentine eCards with Yahoo! Greetings!
69 > http://greetings.yahoo.com
71 > gentoo-dev mailing list
72 > gentoo-dev@g.o