From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: future.eclass
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 22:03:13
1 On 11/06/2014 01:53 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> # This eclass contains backports of functions that were accepted
5 >> # by the Council for the EAPI following the EAPI used by ebuild,
6 >> # and can be implemented in pure shell script.
7 >
8 > I'm not sure that I like this sort of a moving-target definition.
9 > When EAPI6 is out, do you intend to have the eclass die at some point
10 > for any packages using EAPI5?
11
12 We should be able to simply migrate consumers to the new EAPI, then
13 deprecate future.eclass.
14
15 > Or will they work indefinitely, and
16 > then the eclass will behave differently depending on what EAPI is used
17 > by the ebuild calling it? I can see issues either way (either we're
18 > building a monster eclass that basically replicates half of PMS, or we
19 > start running into migration issues and maybe even breakage of old
20 > systems that aren't updated/etc).
21
22 Old systems are not a problem, since installed packages always use
23 serialized eclasses from /var/db/pkg/*/*/environment.bz2.
24
25 The biggest problem would be out-of-tree ebuilds (overlays) that
26 continue to use future.eclass after it's been deprecated.
27
28 > If this were about testing EAPI features prior to implementation in a
29 > limited and short-term scenario I could maybe see this being a
30 > net-positive, but even then we have issues with the eclass changing
31 > when users still have packages using it installed.
32
33 No, as said, installed packages use serialized eclasses from
34 /var/db/pkg/*/*/environment.bz2.
35
36 > I get what you're trying to do, but I'm a little worried that it might
37 > cause as many problems as it solves.
38
39 Given that old systems aren't a problem, out-of-tree ebuilds are the
40 main issue that I can think of.
41 --
42 Thanks,
43 Zac