From: Stuart Herbert <stuart.herbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Fw: [gentoo-dev] New project: Gentoo Seeds
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 21:29:45
1 Hi Matt,
2
3 On 9/19/06, Matthew Marlowe <mattm@g.o> wrote:
4 > Can we integrate this somehow with a project (new?) to build ready-to-use
5 > vmware or xen images? It would be silly to duplicate the work, and
6 > testing would be much better this way.
7
8 Sure. For the moment, we're focusing on getting the basic packages built.
9
10 > I would see the workflow proceed in the following manner:
11 > Releng herd makes available new official gentoo releases
12 > After a few weeks, the seeds herd takes releng product and creates new
13 > application/environment specific stage4 images
14 > Then, after a few more weeks, the virtualization herd takes seed
15 > product and adds appropriate vmware/xen/etc modifications to create
16 > ready-to-run virtualization images.
17
18 I think that sort of detail is a long way in the future for us.
19
20 When we get there, I don't think it'll necessarily work best to
21 strictly tie the release of seeds to the generic Gentoo release media.
22 It would probably make sense for the seeds release schedules to also
23 be influenced by their respective $UPSTREAMs.
24
25 I don't think we need to worry about it too much until we've actually
26 got working seeds that are stable enough to be considered for release.
27
28 Best regards,
29 Stu
30 --