From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unmasking modular X
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 17:29:39
1 Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o> said:
2 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:06:12 -0800 Donnie Berkholz
4 > > <spyderous@g.o> wrote:
5 > > | Here's my proposal for dealing with modular X entering ~arch.
6 > >
7 > > What's wrong with the original idea of just making any unported ebuild
8 > > pull in all of modular X (minus drivers)? Yes, it means that some
9 > > people will pick up unnecessary deps until all packages are ported, but
10 > > it avoids anyone having to see flashy red errors.
11 >
12 > The problem with that is that it removes all motivation to ever port the
13 > packages. They'll just stay that way forever, where forever means "until
14 > I threaten to remove that from the virtual," in which case we'll be in
15 > the same scenario we are now. Why? Because people have better things to
16 > do than fix stuff that isn't broken.
17
18 It'd be nice if you reconsidered this as it will minimize any breakage that
19 may occur. Knowing that >800 packages are broken, and going to unmask it
20 knowing that just doesn't seem acceptable in my eyes. ~arch isn't meant to
21 be "things are known to be broken." It's meant to mean, we think all of this
22 is ready to be stable, which it certainly won't be in this case.
23
24 Thanks,
27 Mark Loeser - Gentoo Developer (cpp gcc-porting toolchain x86)
28 email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org
29 mark AT halcy0n DOT com
30 web - http://dev.gentoo.org/~halcy0n/
31 http://www.halcy0n.com