From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: gentoo-core@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] OpenSSL 0.9.7b, KEYWORDS=amd64, recompiling systems, MySQL4 and Apache2
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 00:52:23
1 On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 05:47:08PM -0700, Robin H.Johnson wrote:
2 [snip]
3 >
4 > I propose that we make a _large_ announcement to all users that they will
5 > need to run a specific set of commands, and put all of the packages
6 > involved into the stable tree in a single move, so that as little
7 > redundant rebuilding as possible is done.
10 By most estimates, we have close to 200k users, maybe more. You cannot
11 announce something like that to 200k people. A minority are a part of
12 the forums/mailing list/IRC community.
13
14 We need an automatic upgrade path or this just isn't really viable and
15 will result in a lot of angry users.
18 Jon Portnoy
19 avenj/irc.freenode.net
22 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list