From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentooo 501(c) accounting
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 18:31:47
1 Hello,
4 There was some discussion before about the software used for gentoo the
5 charity (501)(c). It seems to have perked up a bit of discussion on
6 gnucash, where all of the posting I have read suggest that gnucash is a
7 wonderful accounting system for charity organizations. There also
8 appears to be lots of experience and help to. I thought this issue need
9 a separate thread on gentoo-dev, a robust decision, and a team based
10 solution, if not a council item.
11
12 Here is the latest posting I have received on the 501(c) subject matter,
13 I thought I share and formally open up a discussion on the subject:
17 Here's my original post::
18
19 Hello gnucash users.
20
21 I use gnucash for my small business, for years and I'm quite happy with
22 it. Recently, I was ask if Gnucash has as good of support for 501(c)3
23 non-profits as does ledger (www.ledger-cli.org)?
24
25 Any and all comments are warmly received.
26
27 James
28 ........................................
29
30 The the most recent reply:
33 > [1] http://www.ledger-cli.org/
34
35 I regard cli accounting as a friend of GnuCash rather than the
36 competition, there isn't anything one can do that the other can't in
37 accounting terms, also notice that cli accounting is becoming less so as
38 time passes, there are UIs and SQL type reports and so on being added
39 all the time, the principle is that compared to commercial products you
40 can, if you really want to, see a stream of transactions in ordinary ABC
41 and 123 terms, gnc can be dumped to cli and vice versa.
42
43 I'm not saying you or someone else should choose one or the other, I'm
44 asking you to thunk which is most likely to get people keeping good
45 records for the benefit of their non-profit. I know that for one
46 non-profit I help out with a basic cli would be a non-starter, no UI and
47 the tx simply wouldn't get entered.
48
49 > [2] http://www.accountingcoach.com/nonprofit-accounting/explanation/1
50
51 worth reading, note the bits about restricted funds, that is what people
52 that are familiar with for-profit orgs usually struggle with conceptually
53
54 > [3] https://sfconservancy.org/npoacct/
55
56 that's been updated since I read it last but seems to be more face lift
57 than new content
58
59 James, you've got some good links there but don't actually say what the
60 imperatives for your correspondent are.
61
62 I, and I am sure others, are happy to espouse GnuCash, *if we think it
63 is right* for your org. I don't have enough to go on. There is little
64 harm in trying it, however, as it is easy enough to get your tx in and
65 out if cli accounting is your alternative.
66
67 Happy helping and non-profiteering (if that is even a concept in merka
68 post Trump)
69 --
70 Wm
71
75 Surely our code of conduct, evidence by principled and publish documents
76 and the records of expenditures over the years, are quintessential
77 documents and should experience governance in the sunshine, or no?
78
79 hth,
80 James