From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: hasufell@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] commit message format change on the wiki
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 23:22:48
1 All,
2
3 I would like to suggest a couple of changes to the
4 "commit message format" section of the Gentoo git Workflow page on the
5 wiki.
6
7 The first bullet, which states that all lines have a max length of 70-75
8 characters is not quite correct. The brief explanation (the first line)
9 is supposed to be 50 characters or less.
10
11 The other thing I suggest changing is the bullet about the detailed
12 multiline explanation. It is recommended that the wrap occur at column
13 72, so we probably should just say that the multiline explanation should
14 have a max width of 72.
15
16 See this blog post [1] for
17 why.