From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] CVS headers in ebuilds
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 22:30:04
1 On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 18:21:44 -0400
2 Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 04/10/2016 05:36 PM, Gordon Pettey wrote:
5 > > Or you could just use a branching workflow like Git has great
6 > > support for, and create your overlay as a branch of the main tree
7 > > you're copying ebuilds from. With recent versions, you can even
8 > > have checkouts of different branches from the same tree in
9 > > different directories, so you're not duplicating the the whole
10 > > repository. Then you could just git diff from the master branch,
11 > > and no need for preserving CVS misbehavior.
12 >
13 > I suggested this on the bug, but it's not so clear-cut. With a branch,
14 > you have a million other ebuilds sitting around in "your overlay" that
15 > you don't care about. I'm also not sure how the metadata updates would
16 > work; like, if it would be efficient to pull the rsync metadata and
17 > then run `emerge --metadata` or something like that. It wouldn't be
18 > fair to say "just use a branch!" if that's going to mean that
19 > somebody's day-to-day work gets a lot slower.
20
21 Would a sparse checkout help here? I've used this feature in a
22 different context. You could add the packages you do care about to the
23 sparse checkout list.
24
25 http://stackoverflow.com/questions/600079/is-there-any-way-to-clone-a-git-repositorys-sub-directory-only/13738951#13738951
28 James Le Cuirot (chewi)