From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Transitioning from #!/sbin/runscript to,#!/sbin/openrc-run
Date: Thu, 05 May 2016 11:19:38
1 Patrick Lauer posted on Thu, 05 May 2016 09:32:01 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > So you're saying that a Gentoo-specific change in Gentoo happens because
4 > the Gentoo maintainer doesn't care about Gentoo? ;)
5
6 I'm saying that big-picture, there's more than one distro, and once a
7 particular package graduates beyond a single distro, as openrc has,
8 there's likely to be some more or less disruptive changes.
9
10 Meanwhile, seems there was another package with a runscript executable
11 that debian happens to package, proving my point about namespace
12 collision. Today that's a problem for debian; tomorrow it could well be
13 a problem for a would-be gentoo packager (dev or user) of that same
14 package... if some gentooer out there isn't /already/ having to deal with
15 the problem. So it's not just debian openrc is helping here, it's the
16 entire floss community that may at some point be interested in software
17 with that same name, including gentoo.
18
19 > Somehow I still don't see a *problem* being solved, and the runscript
20 > binary/symlink pretty much has to stay there indefinitely unless you
21 > want to make life exciting for people that have their own or adapted
22 > init scripts.
23
24 Many gentoo precedents define your "indefinitely" as "one year at
25 minimum". Beyond that, it's (gentoo) maintainer's preference, taking
26 account of how much of the rest of the tree it still effects, getting
27 someone to take care of the lagging packages if necessary, etc. But
28 while we don't /try/ to break stuff out of the tree, if it's out of tree
29 and particularly if it's in some user's non-public/non-layman overlay or
30 simply a script hacked up on their system, we prioritize accordingly, and
31 yes, we recognize that sometimes that stuff breaks with such changes, but
32 that's held to be a case of "if it breaks, you get to keep the pieces".
33
34 Despite all that, I expect it'll be more like two years' worth as
35 deprecated but still there, simply for practicality reasons. Meanwhile,
36 once the deprecation warning goes in, a year or more is plenty of time to
37 change things so they'll still work after the deprecation period, and
38 like I said, while we recognize that some users may not upgrade in in
39 over a year, that really has been held to be their problem and
40 responsibility at that point, including if they entirely missed the
41 deprecation warnings as a result of not upgrading in over a year.
46 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman