From: Stewart Honsberger <blkdeath@g.o>
To: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@g.o>
Cc: foser <foser@×××××××××××××××××.net>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Replacing fdisk with cfdisk in
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 19:35:03
1 Luke-Jr wrote:
2
3 > No, but tools should be obvious to the user when they can be without losing
4 > any functionality. Nano, for example, makes itself quite obvious how to use
5 > and is not, AFAIK, explained anywhere in the manual. cfdisk is obvious in the
6 > same way. As far as the manual goes, neither nano nor cfdisk lack any needed
7 > functionality.
8
9 I'm not saying Nano shouldn't be included by any means. As for cfdisk,
10 it's less standard (read: common) than fdisk, and questions have been
11 raised about its functionality.
12
13 I've repaird literally thousands of partition tables with fdisk (the
14 same one, if only prior versions going back several years that ships on
15 the Gentoo install CD) and never encountered a problem. Why not stick
16 with something that takes minutes to learn, is standard, and proven
17 reliable?
18
19 >>fdisk is a simple, standard, powerful partition table editor. I've used
20 >>Linux's fdisk to repair botched tables more times than I can count.
21 >>Instructions for use can be very simple.
22 >
23 > Instructions for fdisk can be simple, as opposed to not really needing
24 > instructions for cfdisk at all... I'm not saying exclude fdisk (it can't be
25 > that big), but there's no reason to use it by default (eg in the manual).
26
27 Including alternate tools for every part of the installation, especially
28 when including tools that are not industry / POSIX standard tools, is
29 contributing to bloat.
30
31 Here's an idea; what about having a standard set of tools on the minimal
32 install CD, and only including duplicate functionality / "user friendly"
33 tools, scripts, menus, and installation GUIs on the larger CD that comes
34 with Stage3? Why are newbie users installing from Stage1 if they can't
35 even use vi or fdisk anyways?
36
37 Perhaps one of those lines could include the notion of "Advanced
38 installation from the ground up" or "hand-holding from Stage3 with the
39 option of using Stage1 if you're so inclined".
40
41 >>The last patch of the slope is the Vi(M) discussion. "Vi is hard" seems
42 >>like a bit of a cop-out to me. Vi can be summed-up in half a dozen lines;
43 >>
44 1 - >>vi <filename> - Load file for editing
45 2 - >>/<keyword> - search
46 >>
47 3 - >>:w - Write file to disk
48 4 - >>:q - Quit
49 >>
50 5 - >>Commands can be combined, eg; :wq - Write file to disk and Quit
51 >>
52 >>Five lines and users have all the knowledge they need to create / edit
53 >>their base system files. A few more short lines and you can explain
54 >>(global) search/replace to give them more advanced functionality.
55 >
56 > I don't see anything in those *4* lines explaining how to enter data (eg 'i'
57
58 Five lines. A sixth could be added that reads along the lines of;
59
60 Press 'i' to enter insert / edit mode, press Esc to return to command mode.
61
62 (Word wrap notwithstanding)
63
64 > or 'a'), but like fdisk, vi would require explaining how to use it whereas
65 > nano is obvious, so it should be includes, but not in the manual.
66
67 That's my point - how much "obvious" stuff are we going to include in
68 the installation procedure of a self-proclaimed "advanced user"
69 distribution?
70
71 As for the installation manual, it should perhaps contian pointers to
72 instruct people how to reference the help / manual pages for these
73 respective applications. In fdisk, for example, the default prompt urges
74 you to press '?' for help. How much more obvious can it get?
75
76 >>I'm of the opinion that we have to set barriers; lines in the sand, if
77 >>you will. "This is how friendly we will become" and stick to those
78 >>boundaries. This would, of course, also help with the consistency issues
79 >>that are raised weekly on this list. ;>
80 >
81 > I agree we may need to keep the "idiot" and "real user" communities seperate,
82 > but there's no reason both cannot exist.
83
84 If we keep the entry bar high, we'll produce a more educated Linux user
85 community, and the forums, IRC channels and Bugzilla will be less
86 clogged with FAQs and inanities. (Read: Developer time better spent).
87
88 Gentoo is in a great position to teach users to work with standard
89 tools, rather than looking for the easy-out two-click brainless method
90 emplored by 'other' OSs and distributions. We can teach users to look
91 through documentation and search engines and try to answer their own
92 questions before they come looking for hand holding.
93
94 As I said before, this is a slippery slope. The more user-friendly you
95 make a tool, the more dumbed down people will want it. We're way behind
96 the likes of RedHat, Mandrake and SuSE in that regard and trying to
97 catch up would only put is in the league of so many other mediochre
98 distributions who've tried and failed.
99
100 If people want an idiot-proof install, I tell them to investigate
101 RedHat. I won't reccomend Gentoo to a person who can barely fudge their
102 way through a Windows installation because it's unfair to them and the
103 user community. People offering support in #Gentoo shouldn't have to
104 answer 50 daily "Where is my C: drive?" questions.
105
106 Beisdes that; if our installation procedure forces people to learn (and
107 more importantly; learn how to learn), we'll find ourselves with a swath
108 of qualified individuals from whom to select as new developers.
109
110 Right now the install.txt can be practically followed to the letter to
111 get a person up and running with a Gentoo system. I know; I've done it
112 myself; executed each command in sequence until eventually I was booted
113 to a login prompt and rearing to go. Consider how many people can't
114 understand this procedure and tell us on a daily basis how difficult
115 Gentoo is to install!
118 Stewart Honsberger
119 Gentoo Developer
120 http://www.snerk.org/