From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, python@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item review: python-exec 2.3 reclaims python* symlinks
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 17:06:13
1 On Sat, 21 Jan 2017 17:36:27 +0100
2 Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 01/21/2017 10:49 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > Please review the following news item. It was requested by users.
6 > > Preferably I'd like to commit it today.
7 >
8 > ..
11 > > If you are using FEATURES=collision-protect, Portage will reject
12 > > the upgrade. If this is the case, please temporarily switch to
13 > > FEATURES=protect-owned for the upgrade.
14 > >
15 > > If you are using FEATURES=protect-owned, Portage will verbosely warn
16 > > about the file collisions but will proceed with the upgrade once
17 > > determining no replaced files are owned. Please disregard the warning.
18 >
19 > This change broke a stable system in my case without any of these features.
20 >
21 > world upgrade failed with * ERROR: dev-python/pycairo-1.10.0-r5::gentoo
22 > failed (configure phase): due to
23 > /usr/bin/env: ‘python’: No such file or directory
24 >
25 > system ended up with a broken symlink
26 > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 Jan 21 13:55
27 > /usr/bin/python -> python-wrapper
28 >
29 > additionally the original upgrade, after manually setting the updated
30 > symlink, ended up with a
31 > python-exec: Invalid impl in /etc/python-exec/python-exec.conf: python3.3
32 >
33 > How was this allowed into stable?
34
35 I know things like this don't ever happen in your beloved perfect
36 corporate world but mistakes happen. FYI, in open source you usually
37 report a bug instead of bitching on a semi-related topic on a mailing
38 list.
41 Best regards,
42 Michał Górny
43 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>