From: Jonathan Adamczewski <jadamcze@××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Sharing portage?
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 13:57:50
1 Molle Bestefich wrote:
2 > Hi
3 >
4 > Follow-up question to the backup thingy.
5 >
6 > Is there an easy way to share Portage's database between multiple
7 > virtual machines?
8 >
9 > Optimally, I would emerge --sync and the results would land in a
10 > filesystem that I'd share between VMs, so I don't have to do emerge
11 > --sync in each and all of them. The filesystem could perhaps be
12 > readonly to the virtual machines, except for the one doing the --sync
13 > of course.
14
15 I share /usr/portage across several machines as an nfs mount. 'emerge
16 --sync' is done on only one machine.
17
18 Until recently, 'emerge --metadata' was still needed on the other
19 machines, but thanks to the metadata_overlay database, this is no longer
20 necessary. And most emerge-related activities are much, much faster.
21
22 [To use the new database module, with portage-2.1, put
23
24 in /etc/portage/modules:
25 portdbapi.auxdbmodule = cache.metadata_overlay.database
26
27 in /etc/make.conf:
28 FEATURE="-metadata-transfer"
29
30 and remove /var/cache/edb/dep/\${PORTDIR} ]
33 To have distfiles safely shared across the many machines, you need
34 FEATURES="distlocks" and you'll need to relocate (or mount separately)
35 ${DISTDIR} if ${PORTDIR} is read-only.
38 Also, I think you're getting into questions that should be on -user. ;)
39
40 j.
41 --
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list