From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The Python problem
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 08:06:08
On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 21:31, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
> Working targets. USE_PYTHON is junk. What python.eclass does now with > ABIs is a PITA, and requires manually providing a lot of redudant > information (namely, RESTRICT_PYTHON_ABIS).
Please clarify *why* it is a PITA, and what information is redundant.
> Right now, each ebuild has to provide the same information in > PYTHON_DEPEND and RESTRICT_PYTHON_ABIS. Moreover, if an ebuild > supports, say, py3 and its dependency doesn't, the ebuild has to > restrict py3 too.
I'll grant you that PYTHON_DEPEND and RESTRICT_PYTHON_ABIS seem redundant, we could probably fix that.
> I'd like to see that fixed somehow. I'd like to set a single supported > Python version information in an ebuild, and let the dependency > resolver handle everything else.
That would be bad; it's common and useful to have packages installed in both 2.6 and 2.7 (and even 3.1). Cheers, Dirkjan

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] The Python problem "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>