From: "José Fonseca" <j_r_fonseca@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Script to clean old files from /usr/portage/distfiles
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 01:13:35
1 On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 12:42:41AM +0100, Johannes Ball? wrote:
2 > Am Monday 11 November 2002 21:38 schrieb José Fonseca:
3 > > I never do `rm -f /usr/portage/distfiles'. I find very useful having the
4 > > sources of the installed packages ihandy as it avoids downloading
5 > > everything over andagain when updating to new releases of the same
6 > > version, or when installing Gentoo on another system. But after some
7 > > time that directory gets too fat and is too boring to eliminate the
8 > > deprecated packages by hand so I've made a script to automate this. You
9 > > can see it attached.
10 >
11 > Sounds good! I was missing this feature ...
14 > > I've started with a shell script, then python, then I've read qpkg.sh,
15 > > ebuild.sh, portage.py and many others in the search of the easiest way
16 > > to do this. In the end everything boiled down to 2 lines - the rest is
17 > > just sintatic sugar!
18 > >
19 > > I hope you enjoy it.
20 > >
21 > > José Fonseca
22 >
23 > When I run your script, though, I get this:
24 >
25 > sed: can't read /usr/portage/metadata/cache/sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.4.19:
26 > No such file or directory
27 [...]
28
29 These are packages which were installed from your '/usr/local/portage'
30 or were removed from portage.
33 > Could this be my fault? Sometimes when I was messing with the files in
34 > /usr/portage I wasn't sure whether an 'emerge rsync' would fix it all up
35 > again ...
36 >
37 > I also have some stuff in /usr/local/portage ...
38
39 It's not really your fault, but just a limitation of the script. Please
40 read my second post for more info about this.
41
42 I decided not to flush the error output to /dev/null so that one is
43 alerted that the sources specific to these package [ do not belong to
44 any other]will get deleted.
45
46 I could write a variation of the script without these shortcomings -
47 that actually read the installed ebuilds which is *much* slower. I
48 personally don't need it as I only have little stuff in
49 /usr/local/portage.
50
51 If there is enough interest I'll add a couple of operation modes to the
52 script: "dummy", and "safe"; to make a dry-run and/or a safe evaluation
53 of the installed packages repectively.
54
55 José Fonseca
57 Do You Yahoo!?
58 Everything you'll ever need on one web page
59 from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts
60 http://uk.my.yahoo.com
63 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list