From: "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: [gentoo-java] Help with new Cocoon ebuild
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 21:31:22
1 Eivind Tagseth wrote:
2
3 > * Jörg Schaible <joerg.schaible@×××.de> [2004-01-08 23:23:55 +0100]:
4 >
5 >> Just to clarify, what "usually means": You can provide a web application
6 >> either as war file or as a complete directory tree. The war file just
7 >> contains this tree for (installation) convenience, but may have to be
8 >> extracted to adjust configuration files.
9 >
10 > Good point.
11 >
12 >> Well, coming to frameworks like Cocoon the things get even more
13 >> compilcated. Cocoon itself is a framework i.e. you either include it into
14 >> your own web application or you adjust the Cocoon web application to your
15 >> own needs for your application. The delivered Cocoon web application is
16 >> basically just a demonstration, but not of much use as a real world app.
17 >> This implies, that it is normally not really useful for normal users
18 >> (i.e. not a developer) to install Cocoon at all in a servelt engine IMHO.
19 >> Either it is included in another web application or it is used to build
20 >> other (web) applications which implies no need for an installation in a
21 >> servlet engine also.
22 >
23 > I'm not quite sure what you mean here. My cocoon installation _is_
24 > deployed
25 > as an unpacked war file. I've modified it's sitemap and a config file and
26 > using cocoon to pipeline several XSL transformations.
27
28 Well, seems you've done something manually. Compare your output of "etcat -f
29 cocoon" with mine:
30
31 ==== snip ====
32 [ Results for search key : cocoon ]
33 [ Applications found : 1 ]
34
35 Only printing found installed programs.
38 * net-www/cocoon-2.0.2
39 /opt
40 /opt/tomcat
41 /opt/tomcat/webapps
42 /opt/tomcat/webapps/cocoon.war
43 /usr
44 /usr/share
45 /usr/share/doc
46 /usr/share/doc/cocoon-2.0.2
47 /usr/share/doc/cocoon-2.0.2/CREDITS.gz
48 /usr/share/doc/cocoon-2.0.2/INSTALL.gz
49 /usr/share/doc/cocoon-2.0.2/KEYS.gz
50 /usr/share/doc/cocoon-2.0.2/README.gz
51 /usr/share/doc/cocoon-2.0.2/changes.xml.gz
52 /usr/share/doc/cocoon-2.0.2/announcement.xml.gz
53 /usr/share/doc/cocoon-2.0.2/todo.xml.gz
54 /usr/share/doc/cocoon-2.0.2/html
55 <snip/>
56 ==== snap ====
57
58 > So personally, I have the need to get cocoon installed into my favorite
59 > servlet engine, preferably unpacked. But of course, I can do this myself,
60 > providing I have a sensible place to find it (not in tomcat's webapps
61 > directory).
62
63 Especially for Cocoon it does only make sence to do this manually. As you've
64 reported, you will have to adjust either the demo app or use Cocoon in an
65 completly own app yourself. But both is a developer's task.
66
67 > Since a tool for installing "normal" web applications is being developed,
68 > it
69 > would be nice if it was also able to install war files. As far as I
70 > understand, this tool is not part of the normal emerge-process, but must
71 > be executed manually (or perhaps using ebuild <package> config?).
72
73 I am nor sure what you're refering here ....
74
75 >> Additionally a developer might have the need to have multiple versions of
76 >> Cocoon, since he could develop multiple applications using it or
77 >> maintaining different versions of his application using different Cocoon
78 >> versions also (and probably supporting diferent servlet engines). Both
79 >> scenarios do not fit very well into the current portage characteristics.
80 >
81 > Part of it does. What you are saying is that portage must be able to
82 > "hold" several versions of cocoon, while there must be a way to install
83 > serveral instances of all versions. I think the ebuilds should handle the
84 > first part (by installing into /usr/share/webapps or something), while
85 > a web app installation tool could handle the latter part.
86
87 See other mailing from Karl. Somethin's goin' on.
88
89 >> But there is more. Same situation applies for Enterprise Applications
90 >> (EAR files), that should be running in any conforming J2EE server (jBoss,
91 >> Enhydra, Jonas, Sun J2ee SDK, WebLogic, ...). Robert, don't get confused:
92 >> a servlet engine is part of the J2EE spec.
93 >
94 > Hehe... poor Robert. I think EARs could be handled pretty much the same
95 > way as WARs though.
96
97 Thought so too.
98
99 >> While I think we should solve the basic problem installing real world web
100 >> or enterprise applications, but Cocoon and other frameworks/toolkits
101 >> should not be handled in the same way.
102 >
103 > Cocoon is indeed a poor example, since it is both a framework and a demo
104 > web application. I used it as an example because this was the app
105 > originally mentioned, and the only servlet I know of in portage.
106
107 At least it's the one I have a new ebuild for <g>. I'll add it to bugzilla
108 as soon my next dependent ebuild for lenya is working also. But this will
109 arise some additional questions about the Cocoon ebuild ...
110
111 Regards,
112 Jörg
117 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list