From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev and /usr
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 17:37:59
1 On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 06:37:49AM -0400, Joshua Kinard wrote:
2 > On 09/19/2011 05:10, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > Could we stop putting random stuff in random dirs because 'it will
6 > > work'? /etc is _SYSCONFDIR_. I don't see how PCI IDs are config at all.
9 > The best answer is for someone to look into udev and see what it needs
10 > exactly from /usr. Does it really need pci.ids? Or is it just the fact
11 > that random udev rules might rely on a tool/lib in /usr?
12
13 Oh come on people, please do some basic research and read what has been
14 posted about this numerous times in the past instead of just guessing.
15
16 > Former, yes, pci.ids is perfectly valid to go into /etc. It specifies a
17 > mapping of PCI ID numbers to device strings used in udev rules.
18 >
19 > In the latter case, maybe rules specifically required for booting up enough
20 > to mount disks need to be isolated into their own file and udev pointed
21 > there, then re-pointed to the bigger file after /usr is made available. If
22 > that is even possible.
23 >
24 > Note: I'm brainstorming here. Anyone else?
25
26 It's as if people are just totally ignoring what has already been
27 discussed here, why should we even pay attention to this anymore?
28
29 And for those udev/systemd haters, you all do know about devtmpfs,
30 right? If not, {sigh}, I don't even know why I care anymore...
31
32 greg "sick of it all" k-h