From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] standards/conventions? (LDPATH, include files)
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 13:41:51
1 On Thursday 06 December 2001 21:33, you wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > Good questions. I've been wondering the same thing myself.
5 >
6 > I also have a somewhat related question. Gentoo Linux doesn't seem to set
7 > a global LD_LIBRARY_PATH environmental variable like most mainstream linux
8 > distributions (RedHat, Debian, etc.) do. I far as I can tell, this is a
9 > _good_ thing. (see http://www.visi.com/~barr/ldpath.html). However, some
10 > applications look for this variable. Is there a way, around this?
11 > Specifically, I've been looking into Webmin
12 > (http://www.webmin.com/webmin/), and trying to work up some gentoo config
13 > files for it. The top level config file seems to want LD_LIBRARY_PATH. At
14 > least that is what is in the config files for the other distributions.
15 Hi,
16
17 In Gentoo LD_LIBRARY_PATH is called simply LDPATH. Legend has it drobbins
18 simply renamed it because he was tired of typing the longer version :-) Under
19 /etc/env.d you will see a lot of files setting that variable.
20
21 However, it doesn't actually get exported to your shell. Instead, env-update
22 changes /etc/ld.so.conf to include those dirs.
23
24 So if you app is well written just let it think LD_LIBRARY_PATH is empty and
25 that everything is ni standard dirs - it is. Is that approach problematic?
26
27 I believe that's all, have I missed something?
31 Dan Armak
32 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team
33 Matan, Israel